Arturo Martini was born on 11 August 1889 in Treviso. Martini was active between the two world wars, and was primarily a sculptor, but also painter and engraver. Despite studying in Paris and Berlin, and his early support of Futurism, Martini’s works swing between aggressive modernism and classicism, but not toward avant-garde experimentalism, as was typical of the works of many prominent Italian artists during the Fascist Ventennio. Martini taught for a time at the Accademia di Belle Arti in Venice. Martini is also remembered for his provocative book La scultura lingua morta [Sculpture Is a Dead Language], published in 1947.
“Arturo Martini.” The Encyclopedia Britannica. http://www.britannica.com/biography/Arturo-Martini
“Arturo Martini.” Museo del Paesaggio. http://www.museodelpaesaggio.it/en-en/home/collections/sculpture_section/arturo_martini?page=259
Judith and Holofernes, c. 1932, Kröller-Müller Museum, Otterlo.
Cavallo, c. 1926. Collezioni d’arte della Fondazione Cariplo, Milan.
Ulysses and the dog, 1936-37, fire clay, Museo del Paesaggio, Verbania.
Family of acrobats, 1936-37, original plaster, Museo del Paesaggio, Verbania.