Italian Baroque architect Carlo Lurago (Luraghi) died on 22 October 1684 in Passau (a town in Lower Bavaria, Germany). He was born in 1615 from a family of architects in Pellio Intelvi (North Lombardy, Italy). He is considered one of the most significant architects of Czech and Prague Baroque.
When he was at age of 23 he was already skilled in stucco techniques and he moved to Prague, where he had been mostly active. In Prague he built several Jesuit churches and cloisters, including the Jesuit school (the Clementinum), in a premature Baroque style, and the church of Saint Ignatius Loyola in Karlovo Square in the center of the town. His first commission, though, was the stucco and the restoration of the Gothic church of San Salvatore in Prague.
After Prague he went to Passau, where he designed its Cathedral of St. Stephen. Another important example of his work, which he left unfinished because of his death, was the Sanctuary of Maria Taferl in Austria.
St. Stephen Cathedral, Passau.
Saint Ignatius Loyola, Prague.
East entrance of the Clementinum, Prague.
Entrance of the church in Maria Taferl.