On May 27, 1999, the world rediscovered the magic of the Last Supper (Cenacolo) of Leonardo after a twenty-one-years restoration project. It was the titanic work of Dr Pinin Brambilla Barcilon ensuring a new life to the masterpiece. The project aimed to stabilize the painting, and reverse the damage caused by dirt and pollution, along with restoring the original colors, and where possible removing the traces of paint applied from previous attempts to restore the fresco.
Leonardo’s Last Supper (1495-1498) was commissioned by Ludovico Sforza, in the refectory of the Dominican convent adjoining the church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, Milan.
Posted by Ioannis Tzortzakakis
Source: Leonardo a Milano