Carlo Maciachini, one of the most important architects of Milanese eclecticism, died at Varese on 10 June 1899. He was more a restorer than an architect. Born in Induno Olona, 2 April 1818, he moved to Milan, 1838, where he attended evening classes at the Brera Academy of Fine arts and obtained his diploma as an architect. He worked mostly in Milan, but also in the rest of Lombardy, Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia.
His long and acclaimed career includes the Serbian Orthodox church of Saint Spyridon in Trieste (1859); and with the Catholic Church of Charles Borromeo (Rotonda di San Carlo) in Biasca (1905). However, the most famous work of Maciachini is the Monumental Cemetery of Milan (Cimitero Monumentale di Milano). In 1863, he participated and won the Lombardy Metropolitan Municipality competition for the construction of the first large cemetery in Milan; a work which was completed in 1866.
Maciachini worked predominantly with existing buildings and followed nineteenth-century theories of restoration, proposing formal completeness and stylistic unity.
After his death, Maciachini was buried in the Monumental Cemetery, which he himself had built.
Franchini, Lucio (1987) “Un architetto-Restauratore Lombardo Del Secondo Ottocento: Carlo Maciachini.” Arte Lombarda, no. 83 (4), pp. 97–120.
Monumental Cemetery of Milan: The entrance.
Monumental Cemetery of Milan: The Famedio (the main memorial chapel of the cemetery).
Monumental Cemetery of Milan: A photograph from the 19th century by Giacomo Brogi.
Monumental Cemetery of Milan: drawing, with a photograph of Carlo Maciachini.
Saint Spyridon Church, Trieste.
Saint Spyridon Church,Trieste: drawing.
Rotonda di San Carlo.