Italian Art Society Thirtieth Anniversary Membership and Fundraising Campaigns Launch Today!
2017 marks the Italian Art Society’s thirtieth anniversary. To celebrate this milestone, today we launch both a membership and fundraising campaign that will run from 1 September through 31 December, 2016.
Last year IAS ran a very successful “Campaign for 500” (aka the “Cinquecento Campaign”) to achieve the goal of 500 members. IAS is close to hitting this landmark once again, but one final push this calendar year will make 2017 that much stronger. We would, of course, be thrilled to have even more members to help support our many endeavors. To this end, we are asking two things.
First, in addition to keeping your membership active(all current memberships expire on December 31 of this year) please encourage non-members (colleagues, friends, aficionados) working on or appreciative of Italian art, architecture, and visual culture acrossculture across all media, periods, and career paths to join the IAS.
In addition, based on the model of the Italian caffè sospeso, we are introducing the option to sponsor another individual’s membership. Given the number of graduate students, emerging scholars, contingent faculty, and independent scholars with whom we share a field, we thought this would be an excellent way for many of us to “pay it forward” and offer membership to those whom it might benefit most.
Finally, IAS would like to celebrate its three decades by initiating a fundraising campaign that will support both the growth and longevity of the organization. Given IAS’ impending landmark of 30 years, IAS is asking members to consider donations in permutations of 3 and/or 30. Whether that means a donation of $3 or $300, be certain that any donation goes far in supporting IAS’s mission, programs, fellowships, charitable activities, and publications.
IAS will also hold a gala reception to celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of our founding during the annual meeting of the College art Association in New York. The reception (preceded by our annual members’ business meeting) will take place at the beautiful New York restaurant, Il Gattopardo (13-15 West 54thStreet, New York, NY, 10019, less than a block from CAA’s conference headquarters, the New York Hilton, Midtown). At the event we will honor several early presidents of the Italian Art Society: Sharon Dale, Diane Cole Ahl, Gary Radke, Anita Moskowitz, and John T. Paoletti. We would welcome donations to help sponsor this very special event.
Founded in 1987, the Italian Art Society is dedicated to the study of Italian art and architecture from prehistory to the present. In addition to IASblog, which brings news of all things Italian to its readers on a daily basis (thank you for following us), our varied programs include the following:
· Sponsored sessions and receptions at a number of conferences including the annual meetings of the College Art association, the Renaissance Society of America, the International Congress for Medieval Studies (Kalamazoo), the Sixteenth Century Society & Conference, the Society of Architectural Historians, the American Association of Italian Studies, and other venues.
· an annual lecture in Italy, jointly sponsored with the Samuel H. Kress Foundation.
· Conference travel awards for students and emerging scholar members as well as Kress-funded grants for speakers traveling internationally in IAS-sponsored sessions and for scholars working on modern topics.
· a research and publications grant program to fund members at all levels, with new grants for dissertation research and other new grants being planned.
· Support for graduate students and emerging scholars that includes a mentoring program and dedicated Facebook group.
· a forum for the circulation of members’ publications and research interests.
· a newsletterpublished three times a year.
· an informative and comprehensive website.
Membership options begin at $20.00 for graduate students and include three other membership levels (regular, $30.00; patron, $60.00, and institution/benefactor, $100.00). and, since a new or newly renewed lapsed membership paid for before December 31, 2015 is valid until January 1, 2018, it is as if you are getting months of membership for free! You may check our list of current members on our website.
If you are wondering about other ways to support us, IAS always welcomes contributions and we are also happy to work with donors to direct contributions toward specific purposes, including travel grant support and/or the establishment of research and/or publication funds. If you would like to donate while also purchasing a book on your favorite Italian artist, architect, or city, please shop via our Amazon Affiliates page, where a percentage of every purchase you make comes back to the IAS.
Join or renew today and help get the IAS Thirtieth Anniversary Membership and Fundraising Campaigns off to a great start by sharing this post!