Pietrarubbia: a view into a corner of the Montefeltro region
A complex network of castelli, rocche, and palazzi comprise the architectural fabric of the Montefeltro region of Italy. These structures helped Federico da Montefeltro (1422-1482) maintain control of a region that stretched from San Leo in the Emilia-Romagna, through the northern section of the Marche, and east to Gubbio in Umbria.
Although many of the structures have sustained considerable damage over the years since they were constructed or expanded, a visit to any of the sites is illustrative of how the architect, Francesco di Giorgio Martini, took advantage of the region’s topography and often built upon the fabric of older buildings.
The small settlement of Pietrarubbia includes the ruins of one castle, situated at the top of hill, with commanding views of the surrounding Metauro river valley. The buildings clustered at the base of the hill now house an artist community. In the small church, San Silvestro, is an altar by contemporary Italian sculptor, Arnaldo Pomodoro.
References: Francesco Paolo Fiore. Francesco di Giorgio alla corte de Federico da Montefeltro. Atti del convegno internazionale de studi by Francesco Paolo Fiore (2004); Arnaldo Pomodoro. “Sun and Altar for Pietrarubbia, 1990-1991″ http://www.arnaldopomodoro.it
Francesco di Giorgio Martini, Tower of the Castello, Pietrarubbia, c.1463. Photo: Jennifer D. Webb.
View from Tower, Pietrarubbia. Photo: Jennifer D. Webb.
Exterior view, San Silvestro, Pietrarubbia. Photo: Jennifer D. Webb.
Arnaldo Pomodoro, Sun, 1990-1991, San Silvestro, Pietrarubbia. Photo: Jennifer D. Webb.
Arnaldo Pomodoro, Altar, 1990-1991, San Silvestro, Pietrarubbia. Photo: Jennifer D. Webb.
Further reading: Jean-Denis GG. Lepage. Castles and fortified cities of Medieval Europe: an illustrated history. Jefferson NC: McFarland, 2010.
Maria Grazia Pernis and Laurie Schneider Adams. Federico da Montefeltro & Sigismondo Malatesta: the eagle and the elephant. Bern: P. Lang, 1996.
Posted by Jennifer D. Webb